Hello, there! Welcome to the new-look website, the hub of Hiking with Impunity. We've been busy the past month working to bring you a resource that you can rely upon as your community.
While we now have a 'What's New' menu on the Navigation Bar, we wanted to welcome you to the website with a taste of what we've been up to these past few weeks…
Let's start with the logo. D'you see it up there in the banner? Bold, fresh, and designed by our resident graphic designer, Francesca. While the template for this new site was provided to us by Square Space, the logo is purely Francesca. When you see this logo, you will know that you are on a Hiking with Impunity site and trust that it's content is our own. Yes, there are now more sites than HikingwithImpunity.Com! But, before we get to them, there's a few more new features to point out!
Take a minute to explore our new Navigation Bar. You'll see new menu options that didn't exist on the old site.
- Gallery: An on-site photo gallery featuring pictures taken by our contributors for Hiking with Impunity's website. And, while we have created a group on Flickr (more on that, shortly), you may find pictures in these galleries exclusive to our website
- What's New: When a new feature or section is added to the website, this will be the place to read about it. Take a quick peak, and c'mon back to us when you're done. Back so soon?! Did you find the section on…
- F.A.Q.(Frequently Asked Questions): Our F.A.Q. section does exactly what it says on the tin - answers questions that have been frequently asked. Oh, but you'll find so much more within! Besides "Hiking" Mike's wit, you will read the answers to questions such as "Why is the website named Hiking with Impunity?", as well as the answer to the most important question of the day… "Do you accept submissions?" (I'll give you a hint - the answer is Yes).
- About: The About menu button contains everything you'd want to know about Hiking with Impunity but were afraid to ask. Our mission statement, bios of our major contributors (join us, join us!), a form for you to contact us, and our most up-to-date hiking statistics found on our public Map My Hike site.
- Home: In a couple of days' time, when we're sure that everyone has had a chance to find our new website, the Home button will actually take you to the front page of Hiking with Impunity, where you will find all newly published articles. For now, you have to select it. Our newly published article about how to read a map can be found there as of today.
- Community: The Community of Hiking with Impunity is primarily made up of our main forum, found on our new website http://hikingwithimpunity.net. On this new website, you can join a community founded on the simple notion that hikers love to talk! We love talking about where we were last week; why we named our pack, Lucy; what our favorite book may be; and, yes, why we are so fascinated with footbridges (take a look, it's in there!). More information about the forum can be found in the 'What's New' section. For now, know that after stopping by HikingWithImpunity.Com your next trip on the internet should be to HikingWithImpunity.NET!
- Photo Community: Under the main Community menu, you'll find a link to a group we've created on Flickr under the name - really, what else could it be - Hiking with Impunity. You'll be able to share your favorite pics from the trails in our group. Show off your photography skills! Leave a comment on someone else's photo. Have fun with it!
- Resources: Hiking with Impunity's recommended resources and professional societies can be accessed through this section. If we find another site on the web that draws our interest, we may list it on here for your pleasure.
Posting comments to our articles has never been easier than with the Disqus system. After selecting and reading an article, you will be able to post your comments by either logging in with one of your social media accounts (i.e. Facebook or Twitter) or anonymously. Feedback on our articles is greatly appreciated as it will let us know what we are doing well, or what we need to improve upon.
We could go on and on, but we really want you to start exploring our site. Let us know what you think. Post a comment! And, if you have any suggestions about what we can do to make your experience on our sites a better one, please feel free to contact us (you can do it from the Contact menu!).
P.S. Don't forget that you can subscribe to our website by selecting 'Subscription' under "Hike with Us by Following Us" found in the side-bar to your right.
P.P.S. Remember: to check out all of our latest articles for the next day, please go to the Home menu!